Corporate America joins the fight in reducing plastic ocean waste.
If you’ve been following this blog for even a little bit of time, you know I consider plastic, especially single-use plastics, one of the more detrimental products of modern life. Since plastic first came to market in the 1950s, over 9 billion tons have been manufactured as bottles, bags, car parts, computers, and so on, roughly the same as the entire weight of humanity, yet virtually every piece of plastic ever made exists in some shape or form.
Recycling rates for plastic overall are at an abysmal 9%, slightly higher for bottles at 30%, but nothing to get excited about, especially considering that a lot of the detritus is now floating around in the ocean — where, if production isn’t curbed and recycling rates aren’t increased, will result in, pound-for-pound, more plastic in the ocean than fish — and, just as bad, in our rivers, carried along by stormwater runoff where it commingles with pollutants and hazardous substances.
Perhaps the news has gotten so bad that even corporations are having a “come to Jesus” moment. In a move more refreshing than the iconic drink itself, Coca Cola is partnering with The Ocean Cleanup to remove plastic waste — which includes plastic coke bottles and Dasani water bottles both made by Coca Cola — from the seas as the TOC’s first Global Implementation Partner. Exciting, right? You can read more here with their press release.
So let’s keep plastics, and by extrapolation, microplastics out of the things we love like beer, and rivers, oceans, and humans; and let’s reduce, reuse, and recycle our plastic waste so our kids can enjoy the kind of futures we all got to enjoy without worrying about the bottom falling out of the whole dang planet before they even get a chance to look around.
It’s the last Friday of the month. Time to share your good news on the We Are the World Blogfest — #WATWB — a monthly good news trip around the world. May we all be energized and rejuvenated by such news. If you’re interested in joining our Blog Hop, the guidelines are as follows:
1. Keep your post to below 500 words;
2. Link to a human news story on the last Friday of each month that demonstrates love, kindness, humanity, support, open-mindedness, all the good stuff, but no proselytizing, preaching or inconsiderateness toward others;
3. Post on the last Friday of the month in sharing the good news. No story is too big or small;
4. Place the WE ARE THE WORLD Badge on your sidebar and help spread the word on social media using the #WATWB hashtag;
5. Read and comment on others’ posts, play nice, and make friends;
6. To sign up, add your link to the WE ARE THE WORLD Linky List below.
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list. https://www.linkytools.com/basic_link_entry_form.aspx?id=277138
Thanks for reading.
pam lazos 6.25.21